Thursday 1 April 2010

Whole food supplements

I borrowed a raw food cook book from a friend of mine, interesting reading: "The Joy of Living Live" by Zakhah. She mentions 7 daily whole food supplements in her book:
- Blackstrap molasses
- Sesame seeds
- Kelp
- Brewers yeast
- Fresh parsley
- Fenugreek
- Wheatgerm

So off I went to my favourite shop in London - Planet Organic, and I managed to get hold of few of those supplements. Blackstrap molasses is actually a healthy sweetener - spoonful provides almost your daily needs of iron, calcium, potassium, and is rich in B vitamines, copper, magnesium, phosphorus etc. You can add it to your smoothies or juices or water. I have been thinking some time to try to wean Maya off from cows milk, but not sure what to use instead. Soya milk is not best option for babies/toddlers, and many seed and nut milks are very expensive. I tried almond milk, which tastes quite strong, but then I found rice milk, which has mild, a bit watery flavour. You can get it with added calcium, but if you add spoonful of blackstrap molasses to it, it should provide many of the vitamins and mineral a toddler needs. Will try it tomorrow.

I also bought wheatgerm and brewers or nutritional yeast, I'm yet to try these. Parsley and sesame seeds I already have at home, the latter not used very often though, mainly in woks. No kelp and fenugreek yet.

Wohaa, it's midnight already, I'd say it's enough of blogging for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment