Monday 5 April 2010

Will power and self discipline

Easter weekend is over now, and as much as I enjoyed the time off, I didn't do too well with the food. Raw food was hidden in the fridge, and somehow didn't find the way out from there. I've had prawns, baguette, chicken and beef borritos this weekend, yesterday we had salmon. I've been feeling bloated and tired whole weekend, and the more "bad" stuff I've been eating, the less good stuff I've been wanting, despite the way the it makes me feel - bad stuff bad and good stuff good. So why, one must ask? Why do I choose the baddies over the goodies? Taste of course, and the habits perhaps. But is it the lack of will power that makes me want to eat food that I know for sure is not good for me? Everything I need is there: the knowledge, the healthy food in my fridge, the good intention, but still there I go and reach for that piece of cheese, I butter the toast and put the cheese on it and eat it, almost like a robot, while thinking, I should eat fruit salad instead. Why? I don't know, but my guess is weak will power and lack of self discipline.


Definitions of Will Power and Self Discipline

Will power is the ability to overcome laziness and procrastination. It is the ability to control or reject unnecessary or harmful impulses. It is the ability to arrive to a decision and follow it with perseverance until its successful accomplishment. It is the inner power that overcomes the desire to indulge in unnecessary and useless habits, and the inner strength that overcomes inner emotional and mental resistance for taking action. It is one of the corner stones of success, both spiritual and material.


Self-discipline is the companion of will power. It endows with the stamina to persevere in whatever one does. It bestows the ability to withstand hardships and difficulties, whether physical, emotional or mental. It grants the ability to reject immediate satisfaction, in order to gain something better, but which requires effort and time.


Everyone has inner, unconscious, or partly conscious impulses, making them say or do things they later regret saying or doing. On many occasions people do not think before they talk or act. By developing these two powers, one becomes conscious of the inner, subconscious impulses, and gains the ability to reject them when they are not for his/her own good.


So, I might have to develop these two abilities before I can become raw foodist. Time to Google more, find books and read, read, read.

No comments:

Post a Comment