Tuesday 3 August 2010

My greenies and a thought about cravings

I haven't forgotten my blog, it's just been one of those weeks when you just do not want to open your laptop at evenings after long day at work, spent behind a computer.

Anyway, the past week or so has been ok on food wise. I've been drinking loads of green smoothies, over a litre every morning. I've started to find my own favourites now, some recipes below. It hasn't taken off my hunger for breakfast completely, but I'm having much less as the smoothie does keep me full for much longer than green juice used to. I still try to have my green juices in the afternoon before dinner, if I have time.

I have been craving though. Yes, this irresistible feeling when you just have to have something now! I have been craving for carbs - wholemeal toast, mashed potato and wholemeal pasta. One evening my dinner consisted of just mashed potato and nothing else. So weird! I have been trying to find more information about cravings, and there seem to be two main theories about cravings - one is that cravings are an emotional and hormonal imbalance and other is that we get cravings due to mineral/nutritional deficiencies. I think it's probably both. Cravings for sugar is a sign of deficiency of chromium, cravings for chocolate might be magnesium deficiency and carbohydrate cravings is funnily enough  protein deficiency!  I've been thinking for a while to buy raw, vegan protein powder to add to my smoothies, so I guess I have even more reason for this now.

My favourite green smoothies at the moment:

Pine-kale

1/2 pineapple
1 banana
handful of kale
200-300 ml of ice cold water (or add some ice)

Calcium blast

100-150 ml raspberries (can also be frozen)
1 banana
1 head of pok choi
200-300 ml water (and ice if desired)

Blueberry pudding

100-150 ml blueberries
1 banana
large handful of spinach
200-300 ml water (and ice if desired)

Happy smoothie making!

Now, need to order some organic shampoo from So Organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment