Sunday 27 June 2010

Daily food intake

What a weather it's been this weekend, 30 C today! Yesterday we went to Hyde Park with couple of friends to celebrate Scandinavian Midsummer, never seen so many people there before, must've been around 700! Was great day though.

Just had a quick look at my blog and it's full of text and no pictures! Must admit haven't really taken many pictures lately, will try more next week. As a compensation I'll put up some recipes.

Here is what my typical day's (Monday to Friday) food intake looks like:

I start my day with a large glass of water to flush out my system. Then I have large glass of green lemonade.


1 head of Romaine lettuce
100-200 ml spinach, kale or broccoli
1 unpeeled, organic lemon (if non-organic, then peeled)
1-2 green apples (Granny Smiths)
1-2 cm piece of ginger (optional)

I usually have my breakfast at work. I have 2 slices of organic sprouted bread with mashed avocado (if I have time, I make guacamole) and slice of tomato. To add additional fibre for this I eat 2-3 sticks of celery with the meal.


                                           

Here in UK I have found that only Sunnyvale Organic sprouted bread is easily available in most whole food shops. They use different grains to make the bread, one of my favourites is Carrot and Raisin one. So why sprouted bread? Sprouted bread is made with grains and legumes that are sprouted before grinding into flour. Sprouted grains have increased vitamin and nutrient content because the seed is first sprouted, making it alive and active in its growth process. It often tastes sweet as sprouting changes starches into sugars in some grains, which is also much more digestible. It contains no dairy, eggs and yeast and is usually baked in low temperatures to preserve to nutrients.

For lunch I have big raw salad, I try to have different ones every day, or if I make a bigger batch, 2 days in a row. My current favourite is Rose's Ambrosia salad.


                                          

Ambrosia salad

2 large servings

1 carrot
1 small beet root
1 medium courgette
1 smallish apple
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
2-3 Jerusalem artichokes (optional)
1-2 garlic gloves, finely chopped (depending how much you love garlic)
1-2 tps of minced or finely chopped ginger
3-5 tbls of dried cranberries
1/2 - 1 dl of walnuts, finely chopped
1-2 tbls of red or green jalapeƱo peppers, finely chopped
handful of fresh mint, coriander and basil

Use match stick slicer on your mandoline for carrot, beet, courgette, apple and artichokes. Mix everything together and serve with Liquid Gold Elixir or any other healthy dressing.

There are so many healthy salad dressing out there, at the moment my favourite is Rose's Liquid Gold Elixir.

1dl fresh lemon juice
1-2 garlic gloves
1-2 tbls fresh ginger, cut into small pieces
1-2 tbls Nama Shoyu or Tamarin soya sauce
1-2 tbls raw honey
3/4 dl of cold pressed olive oil

Place all ingredients except olive oil into food processor or hand mixer bowl. Blend until smooth, then start to add slowly olive oil as it's blending. The dressing lasts over a week in fridge. Delicious!

If I feel peckish in the afternoon, I have either fruit or raw snacks. Then for dinner I have another glass of green juice (at least 20 minutes before food) and then I eat either fish and vegetables or some vegetarian meal or more salad.

At weekends I'm eating mostly my "old type of food", as I often find it more difficult to stick to raw food diet then, and I've also decided not to be too strict. The transformation should be slow, and I know if I try to do too much too soon, I'll probably find it much harder. I'm hoping to be able to eat at weekends same food as at weekdays within a year, and maybe in couple of years be in a place where I feel I can eat very high raw food diet all the time. 

Now, it's time for BBQ - pork for my husband and daughter, and halloumi for me! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment